However, you can learn to speak to people fairly quickly by following simple rules.
When speaking in front of an audience, the person usually worries about how he or she will be perceived, whether he or she will be able to convey his or her thoughts to the audience, and what the final result of his or her communication with the audience will be. All these fears cause severe stress, which in itself has a negative impact on the performance. In other words, the more the person worries that he or she will fail, the more likely it is that he or she will fail.
Ways to relieve stress
Learning to feel comfortable in the presence of a large audience helps only experience. However, there are ways to minimize the impact of tension on your performance.
- Artificial aggression. It is easy to say “don’t be afraid of the audience”, but in practice such advice gives nothing. A wedge bounces a wedge – before you go to the audience, cause a state of readiness for battle, confident and a little angry mood. To do this, you can sing this or that mobilizing song about yourself. For example, Vladimir Vysotsky’s song “Hunting for Wolves” would be perfect. You can pick up a suitable repertoire, tuning you up in a fighting mood. The result – you will reach the audience fully mobilized, which will help you perform well.
Self-esteem can be affected by a variety of factors. During these periods, it’s hard to keep up with any stress. How do you get your peace back? We’re watching the video!
- Throw in the future. Analyzing what you’re really afraid of when you speak to people? That you don’t look good, that you’ll be laughed at? Are you afraid of failure? Identify your fears, and then internally accept that all the terrible things you thought have already happened. You have failed your performance – you looked terrible, you were speaking Korean, you were openly laughed at, etc., etc., etc. Everything has already happened, you have accepted it, experienced it, so you have absolutely nothing to be afraid of. Accept the defeat, do not expect anything good. As a result, it will be much easier for you to perform.
- Rehearsal. Practice your performance alone with yourself. You can perform in front of the mirror, assessing yourself from the outside. But if you are not delighted with your reflection, train somewhere in nature, where there is no one. It will allow you to speak in full voice without being afraid of anyone. Such training produces very good results.
- A game of imagination. When you go to bed, lose a mental performance. Imagine it in every detail, sharpen the important moments. In your performances, you should look like a confident person, with a brilliant performance in front of the audience.
The determinants of success
1) One of the most important things is the ability to win the sympathy of the audience. Under no circumstances do not make excuses for anything. Do not apologize for the first time you perform, etc., it sets the audience against you. Don’t start with “Let me…”, “Let me…” and the like, it’s wrong. Start your speech confidently, with a short greeting and get right to the point.
- It’s very important to feel in control of the situation, “keep the room”. If during your speech you see that the interest of the audience disappears, people start to talk, make noise, stop for a minute. Just keep quiet and look at the hall, it will make it dull. After that, continue your performance. Another option is to start talking about something completely different, preferably interesting. Once you get the audience’s attention back, say something like: “Well, is everyone back? Thank you, then we will continue”, after which continue your performance again.
A performance in front of an audience is a real art, it only comes into being with years of practice. But even the debut can be quite successful. All you have to do is to believe in yourself, to find the most appropriate options for internal mobilization. And most importantly, do not take everything that is happening too seriously.